MCO Posters

Died: August 29th, 2003.......... RIP
Sub
MB Bartender

MCO Posters

Post by Sub » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:26 pm

All right, so i finally decided to try scanning one of the MCO posters i've got. I had to do it in a gazillion little pieces and then put it all together in photoshop, but it turned out better than i thought it would.

I've got it in a PDF file that's 23 inches wide and 31 inches tall for anyone who'd like to get it printed at full size. The PDF is a couple hundred megs in size, so i'm putting it in the storage folder of a Dropsend account. If anyone wants the full sized poster, let me know and i'll PM you the login info.

I'll scan the other one i've got tomorrow or some time next week. It's a pain in the ass process that i don't really feel like doing again right now, but i'll get to it soon. So here's what the first one looks like shrunk down as a jpg. I'm attaching a crappy picture of the second just so you know what's coming next. :)
MCOPoster1.jpg
Poster2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ZER
Majic Bus GOD

Re: MCO Posters

Post by ZER » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:48 am

NICE!

Did you make these, or are they from EA?

I didn't see any EA logos anywhere, and that is sooooo unlike them.

Sub
MB Bartender

Post by Sub » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:57 pm

These came from the EA Seattle studio. I was a lowly game tester in the MCO days and ended up being good friends with a couple different people on the development team; Yikes being one of them.

A little over a year ago he dropped out of the industry entirely and decided to move out of state. In doing so he gave me his truck and these old MCO posters he had in his garage.

My guess is that they were early marketing ideas that they decided to decorate the studio with. There's legal jargon down each side of them from 2001 that calls out the "Motor City Online" logo, even though this first one doesn't have the MCO logo anywhere on it. In fact, you almost get the idea they were thinking of calling it "Hot Rod Haven".

I may as well just post the login info for the dropsend site. If you download the big version, you'll see that it's a little scuffed up, but you'll also be able to read the legal info on it.

So - anyone deciding they want this poster, please leave it there for other people to download as well:

Go to dropsend.com and log in with this info:

Email address: poster1@thebus.com
Password: motorcity

Go to the Online Storage folder to download the file.

Sub
MB Bartender

Post by Sub » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:08 pm

Speaking of the EA logo - when i first started working there, an old roommate of mine was the guy who used a 3-D laser scanner to scan models of all the old cars and then tweak them into models for the game. When he was done with that it became his job to animate the EA logo, peeling out like a car tire at the beginning of the game.

His first take on it had the logo elongating slightly as it started to peel out. The legal team wouldn't allow it because it distorted the logo ever so slightly. It looked cool as hell, but no - don't ever tweak the EA logo or obscure it in any way. He had to redo the whole thing.

This same person quit shortly after that (about 3 months before the game came out) and despite all his work on car modeling and being an integral part of the team from day one, he ended up at the bottom of a 'special thanks' list in the credits. Go EA.

ZER
Majic Bus GOD

Post by ZER » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:33 pm

I chat with Yikes form time to time on YIM, never really known him other than that and brief chats on MCO, but he is a great guy.

He is back in California now, and doing fine.

Sub
MB Bartender

Post by Sub » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:41 pm

ZER wrote:I chat with Yikes form time to time on YIM, never really known him other than that and brief chats on MCO, but he is a great guy.

Hahah - this is true. He was managing a spa for awhile; of all things.

ZER
Majic Bus GOD

Post by ZER » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:45 pm

Sub wrote:
ZER wrote:I chat with Yikes form time to time on YIM, never really known him other than that and brief chats on MCO, but he is a great guy.

Hahah - this is true. He was managing a spa for awhile; of all things.
Yep... He just re-did their website.

MCOhideaway
MB Janitor

Post by MCOhideaway » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:50 am

Thanks for the scans SUBhuman :smt041
way cool and will go in the vault!
see ya on the track brother
MC0hideaway
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MCOhideaway on Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZER
Majic Bus GOD

Post by ZER » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:27 pm

MCOhideaway wrote:Thanks for the scans ZER
:-[smilie=blondmoment.gif]

Umm... Thank Subhuman.... :smt005

MCOhideaway
MB Janitor

Post by MCOhideaway » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:55 am

Hey Sub take alook at my webpage with mco vids
Do you mind that i used your poster 2 background?
take a look and let me know ,Thanks Bro
MCOhideaway http://www.youtube.com/user/MCOhideaway

:smt026

Sub
MB Bartender

Post by Sub » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:29 am

Totally cool. I've got that one all scanned in now; i just need to piece it together in photoshop. So when i get back from traveling in about a week, i'll upload a proper version so you don't have to use the photo.

ZER
Majic Bus GOD

Post by ZER » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:22 pm

MCOhideaway wrote: MCOhideaway http://www.youtube.com/user/MCOhideaway
Ya' HAD to go and upload a High Res version of the Opening clip didn't you......... :smt097

I wonder is it possible to "wear out" a video stored on a server???....

MrGonzo
MB Senior Member

Post by MrGonzo » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:57 pm

I seen the first poster in a pc game magine before it came out. it was a magazine ad, and quickly knew thatd id fall in love with the game.