Seven years...

Died: August 29th, 2003.......... RIP
Post Reply
Maverick74
MB Senior Member
Posts: 1048
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:32 pm

Seven years...

Post by Maverick74 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:33 pm

Since we last played MCO. :( :-(

Mr_Slabi
Moderator
Posts: 4128
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Brampton Ontario Canada

Re: Seven years...

Post by Mr_Slabi » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:04 pm

Holy shit say it aint so...

I still remember taking the day off work to make sure I was racing when the servers went offline.

I was winning that race...no matter what Mark says! :smt033

ZER
Majic Bus GOD
Posts: 6333
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:42 pm
Location: Kincheloe, MI
Contact:

Re: Seven years...

Post by ZER » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:18 am

I wish I could say I was partying too hard to realize what day it was yesterday, but I just completely BLANKED, guess I am getting old. :-[smilie=wallbash.gif]

R.I.P. MCO

EP429
Majic Bus GOD
Posts: 3354
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:01 pm
Location: Bastrop, Texas

Re: Seven years...

Post by EP429 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:41 pm

I remember ditching school to be on the last day... good times :bia:

Drakkan
MB Senior Member
Posts: 1406
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:05 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Seven years...

Post by Drakkan » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:06 pm

I was right there with ya EP. Still remember that last day with the club... :)

GonePostal
Majic Bus GOD
Posts: 4047
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 2:47 am
Location: Knoxville, TN
Contact:

Re: Seven years...

Post by GonePostal » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:39 pm

7 years... damn!! Still have my install folder on my machine I think...

Wldtat
Majic Bus GOD
Posts: 5111
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 1:05 pm
Location: San Pedro, CA
Contact:

Re: Seven years...

Post by Wldtat » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:15 pm

GonePostal wrote:7 years... damn!! Still have my install folder on my machine I think...
Damn, I've been through a rebuild and another computer since then.

GonePostal
Majic Bus GOD
Posts: 4047
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 2:47 am
Location: Knoxville, TN
Contact:

Re: Seven years...

Post by GonePostal » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:17 am

Wldtat wrote:
GonePostal wrote:7 years... damn!! Still have my install folder on my machine I think...
Damn, I've been through a rebuild and another computer since then.
Same, but for some reason I keep copying it over! :D

Calabrio
Majic Bus GOD
Posts: 25106
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: Sarasota, FL

Re: Seven years...

Post by Calabrio » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:53 am

..and no replacement since then?

Was it that the game was so good, or was it because of the community.
Because of the subject and the emerging internet and computer power, MCO brought together a bunch of people of vastly different background and experiences. Most of which were not the traditional online gamers, especially back then, who all had a common real world interest in something tangible?

MCO was an interesting sociological experiment.
How else would Timmy socialize with James and Worth.

ZER
Majic Bus GOD
Posts: 6333
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:42 pm
Location: Kincheloe, MI
Contact:

Re: Seven years...

Post by ZER » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:23 am

Calabrio-7 wrote:..and no replacement since then?

Was it that the game was so good, or was it because of the community.
Because of the subject and the emerging internet and computer power, MCO brought together a bunch of people of vastly different background and experiences. Most of which were not the traditional online gamers, especially back then, who all had a common real world interest in something tangible?

MCO was an interesting sociological experiment.
How else would Timmy socialize with James and Worth.
So we were all fungi-s in the petri dish that was MCO.

Z28K
Majic Bus GOD
Posts: 7329
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:28 am
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Seven years...

Post by Z28K » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:12 pm

Calabrio-7 wrote:..and no replacement since then?

Was it that the game was so good, or was it because of the community.
Because of the subject and the emerging internet and computer power, MCO brought together a bunch of people of vastly different background and experiences. Most of which were not the traditional online gamers, especially back then, who all had a common real world interest in something tangible?

MCO was an interesting sociological experiment.
How else would Timmy socialize with James and Worth.
For me, it was the game was so good. I really enjoyed building all different types of engines and testing them out in a bunch of different cars. (Not like I could do it in real life, think of the costs....lol) NO other racing game has that same feature. There has been plenty of racing games since, and none compare to the building aspect. Only upgrades, that don't offer so many different subtle changes in engine performance like MCO did.

AJ
Majic Bus GOD
Posts: 4823
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:07 pm
Location: Simi Valley, previously noted as the capital of incest in the US

Re: Seven years...

Post by AJ » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:52 pm

Z28K wrote:For me, it was the game was so good. I really enjoyed building all different types of engines and testing them out in a bunch of different cars. (Not like I could do it in real life, think of the costs....lol) NO other racing game has that same feature. There has been plenty of racing games since, and none compare to the building aspect. Only upgrades, that don't offer so many different subtle changes in engine performance like MCO did.

:-[smilie=thumbup.gif] That was it for me as well. Been hoping and looking for another game that captures the building options and functionality that MCO had.

N2K3 was great in terms of being able to tweak your setup, but not part changing. Forza and Gran Turismo let you upgrade parts, but you don't have anywhere near the granularity that MCO had.

Calabrio
Majic Bus GOD
Posts: 25106
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: Sarasota, FL

Re: Seven years...

Post by Calabrio » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:25 am

That's why I always thought the game itself had a really remarkable engine, but ultimately ended up falling short in execution-
partially due to the consumer technology at the time, and maybe because of the switch to MMOG by EA mid-development and then a lack of support later.

ZER
Majic Bus GOD
Posts: 6333
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:42 pm
Location: Kincheloe, MI
Contact:

Re: Seven years...

Post by ZER » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:02 pm

I really think EA, or any other company for that matter, could REALLY capture the Free-to-play market with a MCO remake.

With up to date graphics, the exact same game, all free to play, BUT, make the RARE variants purchasable, as well as spawning in the auction houses.

This way, if you didn't want to wait for a RARE Wieand 671 blower to spawn, you could just hit a "buy it now" button using real cash. The same would go for rare cars and so on. You would still have to wait for it to hit the auction, but by using the "buy it now", you would automatically get it, yet still leaving the one up for auction, up for auction.

In other words, people don't mind spending a little from time to time to help support the game's costs, could do so, and others like teens who can't support the game's costs, can still play for free.

Kinda mix what Project Torque did originally(before Invictus got $ hungry), with MCO's complexity, depth, and attention to detail.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest