Motor City Online Preservation Society

Died: August 29th, 2003.......... RIP
Alejo
MB Bartender

Post by Alejo » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:33 am

Very nice, I am begging to start thinking about buying me a copy of the NFS series, I left my copies back home :?

Alejo
MB Bartender

Post by Alejo » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:00 am

Boo, how are you setting your MCO car's handling & performance in NFS4?

One of the things I didn't like about Sniper's conversions was that they had far too exagerated performance. The '57 Thundebird was set to AAA!!! Having that T-Bird racing with McLarenF1s sucked pretty badly in my opinion :D The car was named a "badass" T-Bird, hell but anybody can also name a badass bycicle and race it in AAA.... :twisted: It was possible to delete the McLaren, but anyway the T-Bird was just to exagerated. And most of the cars were set with too much "super macho with esteroids" performance :) The most important thing was that all the cars couldn't be raced in good harmony :musik: , some of them had incredible horsepower and other were ok, didn't have consistency in the whole set. I know you're a cool fellow Boo :D just, wanted to make sure how your set was shaping up before I finally decide to buy the game. :bia:

aqua

Post by aqua » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:26 am

Alejo, the "badass" was just certain paint jobs in MCO. I'm guessing the one you're talking about is fiery looking. I almost had one of those once....

So that means the T-bird actually handles well on this one? ;) I always thought it had the best chances for peformance, but the weight distrubition always made it handle like crap!

Apache
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Apache » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:30 am

I put my cobra setup on the tbird and it handled pretty well.

Alejo
MB Bartender

Post by Alejo » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:17 pm

Well the car can handle pretty well, but a T-Bird that has the acceleration and handling of the in-game McLarenF1 isn't the kind of thing I like :?

The most important thing is that the cars can be raced together, that badass T-Bird was unusable because all other muscle cars were at lower (and more accurate) performance and if you raced with it nobody could catch you and the race was spoiled. If all cars were set to AAA (with similar, not identical performance) you could get a race out of that, or if they were all set to A, that would be even better :D The best thing would be by categories, B, A, AA and AAA, each with a nice consistency that will allow to race cars with similar attributes together. 8)

Does NFS4 work ok on WinXP?

Midtown Guy
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Midtown Guy » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:37 pm

i used it on my pc (windows xp) and i couldn't race cars made with viv wizard, i could race cars made with nfs wizard. i can see them in game but i get a error when i tried to race. maybe i didn't have all the right patchs or i didn't apply then in the right order or something

ill install nfs HS and his cars and tell you if they work

if your gonna make cars for it nfs wizard doesn't work with xp, you can put on the windows xp/2000 patch and it still doesn't work, like i said when i made cars in viv wizard i couldn't ever race them

BooRadley
MB Janitor

Post by BooRadley » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:58 pm

Alejo, so far I haven't done anything as far as altering the specs of the cars....I plan to though.

Right now I'm just working on getting them to look right, I keep discovering new stuff and going back and changing things. Just yesterday I realized some of the models weren't oriented quite right, after I fixed them they looked a lot better on the roads, not so jumpy.

This whole thing started over wanting to drive a Camaro with SS Rally Chrome wheels and rusty cars with rusty roofs. I didn't like the tires or rims on Snipers model or the way the roof wasn't mapped so I thought I would change them. I underestimated how much knowledge was required to perform that simple task. I finally have figured out Zmodeler enough to move stuff around, remap textures etc. So at this stage I'm really just trying to get the cars to look the way I want them to. I'm working on making the Camaro a convertible then I want to program in the upgrades. After that I'm going to start thinking about the best way to do the performance tuning on the cars. Ultimately I would like to mimick the performance specs they had in MCO. I agree totally that they will need to be balanced and in classes.

NFSHS runs perfect in Windows XP but it takes a bit of work to get it setup correctly. I had a post here on the bus where I made up some pretty explicit instructions with pics on what had to be done....I'll get that up on my site also. NFS Wizard also runs great on XP but you do need the NFS Wizard launcher (which has to be installed in Win 95 compatability mode). After you install it you then need to check the paths to make sure they are correct. Once you do that it works great.

Personally I view NFSHS as kind of a sandbox to play around with the MCO cars in. It's not the best as far as realistic, white knuckled racing but it still looks great and it is a lot of fun flying around the tracks with those old cars. Since NFSHS was the predecessor to MCO (dev team went from NFSHS to MCO next) it seems like a fitting tribute to try and get all of those cars in there, the way they were in MCO....plus there are so many tools and tutorials for NFSHS it's a great way to learn all of this stuff :-)

RVD
MB Bartender

NFS HS Handeling for Sniper Conversions

Post by RVD » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:25 pm

Alejo, One of things I did was take the Carp Text and FEData from the existing EA Cars and edited the names and performance #'s in the FEData and used them in snipers conversions, That made the races much closer and the handeling a little more realistic and even.

Hope that helps,
RVD

EP429
Majic Bus GOD

Post by EP429 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:30 pm

yeah, find you a car that performs in a way you like, copy it, fix names and serial#, maybe change a few attributes to give it a little individuality
not as horrible as it sounds :)

and HS worked perfectly for me on XP, I gotta figure out how to get PU working again tho, its giving me some kinda BS about direct X (even tho I have a far newer version than the one required)

Alejo
MB Bartender

Post by Alejo » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:14 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, NFS4 is a very cool game, I played it quite a lot before I got my hands on SCGT. Keep up the good work. 8)

Alejo
MB Bartender

Post by Alejo » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:03 pm

Hey guys, I'm interested in converting a NFS4 track to SCGT, any ideas on how to get the files on Z-Modeler? The NFS4 track files are in FRD and QFS formats. If anybody knows which program can open those let me know :wink:

BooRadley
MB Janitor

Post by BooRadley » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:44 am

I think all of the track editing is done with a program called T3ED ... here's a LINK. I've never used it, maybe it has a feature to export to something more standard.

That would be awesome to get those tracks into SCGT.

RVD that is a great site! I hadn't seen it before. I can't wait to try some of those rustys out :D You've made some great skins....

Nitrous16MCO
MB Janitor

Post by Nitrous16MCO » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:30 pm

Getting NFSHS tracks into SCGT would be awsome!:)

RVD
MB Bartender

Post by RVD » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:49 pm

Thanks Boo. :) If anyone wants to use the skins in SCGT feel free. I don't have the game, So I wouldn't know how to convert them myself.

RVD

Alejo
MB Bartender

Post by Alejo » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:15 pm

Hi guys, check the track editing program. It lets you open the track mesh, but there is no way to export it to another format, damn, I'll keep on investigating. 8) Let me know if you find out something :wink:

Nitrous16MCO
MB Janitor

Post by Nitrous16MCO » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:05 pm

yeah, thats what I discoverd as well. I wonder how hard it would be to use that program to build an old MCO track from scratch?

Hey Alejo ill dig a little as well and give you the heads up if I find anything:)

Alejo
MB Bartender

Post by Alejo » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:55 pm

I haven't discovered anything about how to convert the NFS4 tracks. I'll guess I'll have to make a program myself that would convert the tracks with nearly one single click. The problem is, I have no idea on how to make such a program :evil: :D So I'll better just keep investigating....

BooRadley
MB Janitor

MCO Track Screenshots....7 tracks and 746 pictures

Post by BooRadley » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:51 pm

I just put up a bunch of MCO pics...so far 7 tracks and 746 pictures.

These were all saved from MCO Screenshots (before it vanished) among other places so you may see some of your names and recognize some of the pics.

I've also got Sodapop's and Kickeroo's stories in the MCO Fiction Forum

It's kinda cool watching the slideshows for the tracks....

Click Here for MCO Pics

[edit]All of the tracks are done...pictures number over 1000

http://www.mco.bluebulldog.net/mps/Nfsh ... COPics.jpg

Jumper
MB Bar Patron

Post by Jumper » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:48 am

Can you convert the '67 Chevelle and SS? Prettyy please?!?!

BooRadley
MB Janitor

Post by BooRadley » Sat May 01, 2004 11:43 am

The Chevelle will be coming Jumper :D

In the meantime....I've got a fresh batch of Dusters and I've finished off the Novas. (click on the pics to download)

http://www.mco.bluebulldog.net/mps/Nfsh ... usters.jpg

http://www.mco.bluebulldog.net/mps/Nfsh ... 2Novas.jpg

BooRadley
MB Janitor

Post by BooRadley » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:30 pm

I've got a fleet of Nomads and a few custom 48's by EP429 added to the download section.

Since the developer chats from Stratics have now vanished I posted those for posterities sake:

Developer's Chats

Click the pic to get the cars....

http://www.mco.bluebulldog.net/mps/Nfsh ... Mosaic.jpg

Dietpop
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Dietpop » Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:45 pm

BooRadley BooRadley please check your e-mail BooRadley.

Great work on all the cars you've put in Boo. I think HS is still a blast. 8)

Dietpop
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Dietpop » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:06 pm

Boo, are you around anymore?

I changed my profile in the MCOPS and now it won't let me view my messages, or the forum or members list. I got a link emailed to me to reactivate my account but the link is dead. Are you still around and can help?