who is interested in mco

Died: August 29th, 2003.......... RIP
timbuc40k
MB Janitor

who is interested in mco

Post by timbuc40k » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:37 am

I need a number of people interested in paying for mco subscriptions at 20 dollars just in case we can get some one to get it rereleased by ea or another company.

post any links or post this messages on any boards u know of.

thanks timbuc40k

tjk
MB Bar Patron

Post by tjk » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:55 am

let it go man....

Carter

Re: who is interested in mco

Post by Carter » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:55 am

timbuc40k wrote:I need a number of people interested in paying for mco subscriptions at 20 dollars just in case we can get some one to get it rereleased by ea or another company.

post any links or post this messages on any boards u know of.

thanks timbuc40k

Ahem.....

Ahem...mimimimimimi

redletter yellowletter redletter yellowletter redletter yellowletter

MCO IS DEAD. MCO IS NOT COMMING BACK. MCO DIED 18 MONTHS AGO. MCO WAS A MONEY LOSING OPERATION. EA WILL NOT SELL THE CODE. EA WILL NOT GIVE YOU THE CODE. NO OTHER COMPANY IS GOING TO TAKE THE CHANCE AND PAY THE ENORMOUS LICENSING FEES ON A LOSING VENTURE. IF MCO WERE A MONEY-MAKING ENDEAVOR IT WOULD NOT HAVE BE CANCELED. MCO WAS A GOOD GAME, BUT MCO IS NOT LIFE. PERHAPS YOU SHOULD GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE. MCO WAS A VIDEO GAME. MCO WAS NOT REAL, IT WAS IMAGINARY, IT WAS BITS OF DATA ON A SCREEN MADE To REPRESENT A FICTIONAL WORLD.

Perhaps you would be better served going to a cemetary and digging up a dead relatives corpse in an attempt to make everything just oh-so-peachy-keen like it used to be.

Amazingly, the rest of us around here have a way to get on with our lives. Some of us even learned to love other games.

IT WAS A VIDEO GAME, NOT A REAL PERSON.

joesf
MB Janitor

Post by joesf » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:13 pm

MCO kicked so much ass...

I can't wait till Flatout comes out full version.

tjk
MB Bar Patron

Post by tjk » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:52 pm

joesf wrote:MCO kicked so much ass...

umm its out....

Da_Rev
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Da_Rev » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:59 pm

Carter wrote:Amazingly, the rest of us around here have a way to get on with our lives. Some of us even learned to love other games.

IT WAS A VIDEO GAME, NOT A REAL PERSON.
Speak for yourself, <sniff sniff> I still miss it. And I was thinking about the new xbox game Forza. If you add the cost of the gaming console with the new wheel and the device to make it show on my computer monitor. I'd be willing to pay way more than $20 a month instead.

But alas.... I know it will never be. :roll:

Bigdogx
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Bigdogx » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:20 pm

All people have to do is try a game such as wow to see what a real subscription base looks like.Mco was a failure from the start pretty much subscription wise and you really cant blame them for shutting the doors!Like carter said just let it be it's never going to make a come back untill someone makes a new one from scratch!

joesf
MB Janitor

Post by joesf » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:25 pm

tjk wrote:

umm its out....
Waa? THought it didnt come out till June.

aqua

Post by aqua » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:44 pm

Also, As fanatical as some people were about this game, there isn't a MMO in existence (to my knowledge) that charges $20 a month.

Just remember folks. Do not believe everything you read on the internet.

http://boards.ign.com/message.asp?topic ... cb_post_02" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Somebody there says EA wanted $30,000 for the rights? I know the game has been dead for a while, and the games that used the same code as MCO have been past by, but .... that number seems a bit low to me.

Why the hell I'm doing this, I must be bored as hell, but here goes.....

EVEN IF:

Lets say you can get the rights to it for $30k. I doubt it, but lets play this for fun.

I'm assuming anybody would not just do this for their buddies, but actually run this as a business venture.
Well, You've got to put at least one, maybe two people on a full time programming staff with it. Unless you want it to become stagnant. Say you do... then you have this:

http://contractedwork.com/rt.cfm?projectid=12082" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which looks like somebody wanting to get it running. Anybody that's going to run this as a business venture will need at least one full time programmer.

And, oh yeah... you've got to have a major league server. Lets even assume that we can do it all on one server. Lets just assume $10,000 for that. You'll have to have a hella fast connection to the internet. OC-3, probably? Quick looking up for some pricing says 15k-20k a month. I'm sure we might be able to get some really good deal, so let's even assume we can do 12K a month for that, k?

So, we've got the $30K initial fee, $50K in one full time staffer (I'm probably off there, but we'll say fifty), $10k in server costs. There's $90K just to get the program running. Lets say $10k in legal fees, just to make it an even 100k.

12k a month for internet expenses. Even if you charge $15 a month (a stretch, but what the hell, right?) You're going to need about 800 users to break even just on internet costs. Now, EA told us there were alot of subscribers, but what was the most we saw online at one time, about 2000? So, assuming there were about 4 times that many people, you've got to convince 1/10 of them to come back to it. Just to break even on your internet costs. 800 players, that seems doable, right? But you've still got your 100K you originally put out. You'd like to make that back in about a year right? So that's about 800 more we need. So now you're trying to convince 1 out of every 5 past players that MCO is back and they should sign up again. And we're talking permanent people here. You have to COUNT ON 1600 people to subscribe for a long period of time, not just a couple months then bow out.

How many customers are you going to get for a 4 year old game that has been deemed long dead? Sure, you can advertise again, but there's those expenses coming in. And since I have no clue how much licensing would actually cost, I'm not going into what it would cost to acquire new licenses. If you don't acquire new licenses, you're stuck with the same cars we had before, and I remember having new cars on a consistent basis was MY selling point trying to get people to sign up.

------
Point is.... Even if it only cost $30k, You're going to need some serious support to get it going again.

If buying the game is revisited, I honestly feel it's going to take somebody with the insider knowledge like Yikes to get it back, not joe schmo fan like you or I.

I'm done. I won't comment on this issue anmore.

TTB_Husker
MB Janitor

Post by TTB_Husker » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:24 pm

It is amazing how many people still hang on for mco. Some people just cant move on I guess.

cutlass78

Post by cutlass78 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:17 am

I was actually thinking of MCO the other day. I do miss it still. I seriously doubt anyone would actually go through the expense and hassle to revive MCO. Great game that came and left(unfortunately). I still have many screenshots saved from it. Not unless someone starts again from scratch will another game like MCO be made available.

HipsterKonk
Majic Bus GOD

Post by HipsterKonk » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:15 pm

I'm kind of glad it's dead... I loved that damn game, but now I got so much more free-time :lol: I've learned that there is life outside of some internet game. Sure it was fun and all, but I feel that I probally spent too much time on it, expicially through the summer.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:27 pm

I miss MCO too, man. I mean, you didn't have to worry about cops, insureance, gas prices. It had kick ass tracks, good tunes, and a sweet community. But, it's gone now. Ya just have to get used to it.

cutlass78

Post by cutlass78 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:04 pm

Konk wrote:I'm kind of glad it's dead... I loved that damn game, but now I got so much more free-time :lol: I've learned that there is life outside of some internet game. Sure it was fun and all, but I feel that I probally spent too much time on it, expicially through the summer.
I know I spent too much time on it. More than I've spent on any other game. I rarely went more than a day or so away from it from beta to the final days. Life goes on.

Unk
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Unk » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:21 am

Sofaking
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Sofaking » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:54 pm

joesf wrote:
tjk wrote:

umm its out....
Waa? THought it didnt come out till June.
the USA version comes out in june the euro version is out now :)

Yikes
MB Janitor

Give it up

Post by Yikes » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:39 pm

I'll chime in on this. timbuc - Give up.

It took me a while to get to that point, so I think I can say with authority that EA does not sell its intellectual property unless the price is truly ridiculous from a business venture standpoint. Notwithstanding the idea of finding investors willing to throw their money away for a dated game with a small following.

It was difficult enough to prove out our business plan and find venture capital the first time around, and we didn't have the game making money for 4 years with growth.

Its nice to see a game that impacted a lot of people, and I loved it too. But as everyone else here is pointing out "Give it up - the game is dead".

Yikes

Satchmo
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Satchmo » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:15 pm

But dammit Yikes, that doesn't mean you can't drop in more often just to say howdy! :lol:

Da_Rev
Majic Bus GOD

Woohoo....

Post by Da_Rev » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:05 pm

Yikes,

howya doin'? Haven't heard from you in a while. I found the site where the guy was posting he could buy mco for 30K yeah right. I was trying to fine the site where ya'll had your business plan together and show them what it was really like.

$30K ha.

Good to hear from ya!

Jmann
MB Janitor

Post by Jmann » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:04 pm

Well I just hope that someday soon we see the MCO idea continue. That is an online racing community. I don't know how other online game communities are fairing, but last I heard some are still going. Lets hope someone finds a way to make one that is commercially viable while still being as entertaining as MCO was. It would be really sad if MCO as wonderful as it was becomes the reason that nobody will take a chance to try again.

BlitzMan
MB Janitor

yeppers

Post by BlitzMan » Tue May 10, 2005 5:06 pm

Yep I still miss it about as much as always, nothing has the overall coolness, nothing brought me together with other people like that, that stayed hooked up more.

If i had the $$ and there were a way i would make it happen, lol. I STILL have not bought anymore ea games...

A lot of us hangin out at:
http://www.gonegamingnet.com/mco/

Take care all, and remember, America would not be America if we all just gave in so EZ, thats why this is America...

GingerTool
Global Moderator

Re: yeppers

Post by GingerTool » Tue May 10, 2005 9:36 pm

BlitzMan wrote:Yep I still miss it about as much as always, nothing has the overall coolness, nothing brought me together with other people like that, that stayed hooked up more.

If i had the $$ and there were a way i would make it happen, lol. I STILL have not bought anymore ea games...

A lot of us hangin out at:
http://www.gonegamingnet.com/mco/

Take care all, and remember, America would not be America if we all just gave in so EZ, thats why this is America...
You know... ressurecting a 2 month dead thread is grounds for taunting and name calling... ;-)

LtoidKing
Majic Bus GOD

Post by LtoidKing » Wed May 11, 2005 1:08 am

ESPECIALLY if it's Blitzy :twisted:

BlitzMan
MB Janitor

this

Post by BlitzMan » Wed May 11, 2005 3:21 pm

Hiyas,
Well i had not been on in soo long i had to make my account over again, just catching up.

And like i said it still affects me about as much as when it was 1st gone.
That was the only thing where i felt like i was leaving a mark to be seen, miss my name up in top tens, lol. was finally in my niche.

Its hard to shine when they keep blowing out your candle.....

take care all!!
Blitz

miss ya all.... heya `toid still trying to reach good old Oscii, take care good old fellow ex MCO club 404 member.

Post by Guest » Thu May 12, 2005 9:20 pm

If ya need to reach Oscii, I have his E-mail addy, it still worked a couple months ago....hollar if ya want it.

Rodder